This year, $265,000 will be distributed. The deadline to submit a formal expression of interest is April 12, 2010. Information and eligibility criteria as well as the online expression of interest form are available at www.truesport.ca/tsfund.
“Through the True Sport Community Fund, we are helping communities to provide tools and programs that will give Canadian children and youth an opportunity to participate in True Sport – sport based on the values of fairness, inclusion, excellence, and fun,” says Victor Lachance, executive director of the True Sport Foundation.
The fund is the result of a partnership between The J.W. McConnell Family Foundation and the True Sport Foundation. Funds are awarded to programs that unite and build stronger communities through sport and address common barriers to participation for Aboriginal or new Canadian children and youth.
Although open to all provinces and territories, the True Sport Community Fund focuses on the Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and, Newfoundland & Labrador.
“Since 2007, $1,424,000 in dedicated funds has been made available to community-based sport and recreation organizations,” says Mr. Lachance. “All grant recipients have been selected because they demonstrate the values of True Sport and provide opportunities to increase access to and inclusion in sport in their community.” To date, the grants awarded have had a direct impact on over 60,000 children and youth and 7,000 volunteers.
In the fall of 2009, 31 groups and organizations from across Canada were selected as True Sport Community Fund recipients, including:
- Moose Jaw Multicultural Council (Moose Jaw, SK)
- Regina Open Door Society Inc. (Regina, SK)
- Daniel McIntyre / St. Matthews Community Association (Winnipeg, MB)
- Ataguttaaluk High School (Igloolik, NU)
- Sepak Tekraw Sasktachewan (Regina, SK)
- George Gordon First Nation (Punnichy, SK)
- Waycobah First Nation (Whycocomagh, NS)
- Chetwynd & District Minor Hockey (Chetwynd, BC)
- YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth (Dartmouth, NS)
- Mount St. Margaret Ski Club (St. Barbe, NL)
- NWT Swimming Association (Yellowknife, NWT)
- Elgin Street Public School Parents Council (Ottawa, ON)
- Kapuskasing Indian Friendship Centre (Kapuskasing, ON)
- Boys and Girls Club of Kingston (Kingston, ON)
- Battleford Boys and Girls Club (North Battleford, SK)
- Kaw Tay Whee School (Yellowknife, NWT)
- QECVI Boys Hockey (Kingston, ON)
- Access Hockey (Gatineau, QC)
- Delta Gymnastics Society (Delta, BC)
- Bridgetown Community Recreation Association (Bridgetown, NS)
- Kanesatake Recreation Department (Kanesatake, QC)
- Six Nations Field Lacrosse (Caledonia, ON)
- Alberni Valley Wrestling Club (Port Albernim, BC)
- Saskatoon Sports Council (Saskatoon, SK)
- YMCA of Saskatoon (Saskatoon, SK)
- Settlement & Integration Services Organization (Hamilton, ON)
- École secondaire Cavelier-de-LaSalle (LaSalle, QC)
- Centre de santé communautaire Hamilton/Niagara (Welland, ON)
- Riley Park Community Centre Association (Vancouver, BC)
- Gladstone Community Schools Team (Vancouver, BC)
- Youth Association for Academics, Athletics and Character Education (Toronto, ON)