Looking to expand your understandings of urban and public spaces in a stimulating setting? You might be interested in this summer program:
IaaC: Global Summer School_NEW YORK
JULY 06-20, 2015
Cities are continuously produced through entropic processes that mediate between complex networked systems and the immediacy urban life. Emergent media technologies inform new relationships between information and matter, code and space to redefine new urban ecosystems. The NY GSS aims at investigating emerging forms of production of urban and public spaces reimagining the physical city through information technology driven processes. In particular the focus will be placed in the definition of urban prototypes as a critical form of inquiry to speculate on the future of cities and urbanism.
The city of New York will be the expanded site of exploration. Interacting, Integrating, Expanding, Networking and Hacking will be the operational categories to re-imagine future territories and urban practices. The investigations will critically reflect on the city as the shared, the common, the civic and the publicenterprise. How are traditional urban typologies affected by information-based environments? How do they provide a prototypical model to speculate on the relation between social practices and the future of cities? How are designers able to shape the agency of networks? How can we, as spatial practitioners, intervene in the digital city ?
Focus will be placed on the feedback mechanism between scales, investigating the continuous loop between the micro and the macro urban scale. The exploration of urban scenarios will be filtered through the following categories:
- EMERGING URBAN TYPOLOGIES
- URBAN ROBOTICS AND MOBILE COMPUTING
- BIG DATA
- URBAN MATERIAL ECOLOGIES
- RESPONSIVE INFRASTRUCTURES
- ECO-BIO MACHINES
- NETWORK SYSTEMS
Generative design and computationally driven processes will take place throughout the program. A series of lectures from leading academics andinternational invited guests will construct the theoretical framework of the GSS, integrating and expanding the learning modules, with a final exhibition and promotion of the work.
The NY GSS will be organized in three sections:
1_ Research – Analysis
2_ Design development
The NY GSS will be an expanded platform of investigation with direct interaction with the parallel programs in Barcelona, Shanghai, Mumbai, and on-site andnetworked exchange between the participants and the invited global community.
NYC Coordination: MARCELLA DEL SIGNORE
Brooklyn Navy Yard, New York
Apply by June 30, 2015
To apply go to : http://apply.iaac.net/applications/view.php?id=24040
FEES for the NY_ GSS 2015:
We want a country in which:
- public, private and social sectors are engaged in active efforts to close the gap between the socioeconomic wellbeing of Indigenous and non-Indigenous people
- the public sector, private investors and philanthropists separately and collaboratively deploy financial capital to create positive social and environmental impact
- social innovation is an integral part of Canada’s innovation ecosystem, enabling civic institutions to co-create policies, initiatives and programs that enable citizens to contribute a diversity of skills and perspectives to Canadian society
- public, private and civil society sectors act collaboratively and courageously to advance human thriving and address shared challenges
- humans’ social and economic footprint is in balance with the natural ecosystems that sustain life.