Join the McConnell team to support progressive change in Canada
Headquartered in Montreal, and with additional staff in Ottawa, Toronto, and Edmonton the McConnell Foundation is a pan-Canadian private family foundation that supports efforts to build a more sustainable, inclusive and resilient Canada through social innovation. The successful candidate will join a dynamic team that supports innovative and scalable approaches to some of Canada’s toughest challenges – such as climate change, inequality, community well being, and reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples. We do so through granting and investing, capacity building, convening, and co-creation with grantees, partners and the public.
Reporting to the COO and a member of the newly restructured Operations Team this individual manages all activities related to the corporate accounting and financial planning for the McConnell Foundation. The candidate will be responsible for the data accuracy and will oversee grant payment processing and related accounting processes for the Foundation.
The Director of Finance will participate on the IT Governance Committee, the Pension Committee, and the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors. The Director will attend Board of Directors meetings as required by the agenda. This is a new position that will include leadership on the automation and integration of accounting and payments systems in the first year of the role.
The Director of Finance directly supervises one direct report. The position is located in Montreal, Quebec.
How to apply: Interested applicants should upload a 200-word statement about what interests you in this role and a CV to : https://mcconnell.typeform.com/to/koHT2N
Corporate Accounting Responsibilities:
- Implements accounting and financial procedures and policies
- Coordinates the preparation and production of the annual audited financial statements for the McConnell Foundation and the Pension Fund.
- Ensures the timely production and accuracy of the monthly financial statements
- Is responsible for the financial reports presented to the Audit Committee and Executive Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Ensures the production and control of all government forms required of the Foundation and the Pension Fund.
- Coordinates, with the Office Manager on payroll accounting, benefits and financial matters related to the pension plan.
- Ensures that required disbursements are made on time and on schedule.
- Oversees the management of the organization’s internal control and risks by identifying and by managing the financial and operational risks related to the accounting systems and processes; and ensuring the proper functioning of the internal controls in place, or by proposing others.
Financial Planning Responsibilities:
- Manages the budget process leading to the development, design and submission of the budgets.
- Leads the periodic budget monitoring process with all departments to ensure realistic budgeting for the achievement of objectives. Analyzes variances and resolves any potential problems.
- Ensures that directors have the information they need to manage day to day activities and make informed decisions
- Develops performance indicators and prepares reporting in a timely manner.
- Ensures controls and forward looking cash management, makes appropriate provisions for surplus cash, and ensures that the Director of Investment has the appropriate information to ensure the Foundation’s cash position is appropriate for expected programming and operations.
- Participates in the development of financial analyses and business cases for projects.
- Recommends and implements continuous improvement processes related to the methods and procedures used to work tools to improve the financial performance of the organization.
Governance and Philanthropic Data Quality
- Implements data governance procedures and policies for the database of financial data of grantees.
- Leads the transition from check disbursements to EFT payment process
- Develops and ensures that all required controls are in place to maintain data integrity and ensure quality service for grantees, partners, and coaches.
- Develops, monitors and evaluates performance indicators related to philanthropic data to measure the progress and results of its service, initiatives and projects, in order to among other things to identify opportunities and risks
- Lead the implementation of integrated and automated accounting and grants management systems.
- Propose and develop monitoring, control and analysis tools for his team.
- The McConnell Foundation is in the midst of a technological transformation (CRM / transition to cloud services/ transition to EFT), that has been accelerated due to remote work. Contracted accounting technology implementation support may be required.
- Undergraduate university education as well as a professional accounting designation, CPA, CA.
- Ten (10) years of recognized experience in the field related to the position.
- Good knowledge of the field and the functioning of NPOs and/or Foundations.
- Prior experience managing endowments and granting programs.
- Functional Bilingualism
Professional Skills and Attributes
- Inspiring Leadership
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to negotiate, anticipate and influence
- Ability to lead (plan and organize) and prioritize
- Results and service oriented
- Demonstrate autonomy
- Comfortable working with senior management and presenting to the Board of Directors
- Strategic thinker and exercises good discretion
- Demonstrate rigour and transparency
- Demonstrate integrity and a flawless sense of ethics
- Ability to develop staff
- Encourages the commitment of the team
- Demonstrates behaviours in line with Foundation values and mission
Competitive salary and benefits package