Location: Montreal, Canada. (Remote work is in effect while COVID-19 restrictions apply.) To apply, you must reside in Canada full time.
Employment Type: Full-time
Supervisor: Director of Finance
About the Foundation
Headquartered in Montreal, and with additional staff in Ottawa, Toronto, and Edmonton the McConnell Foundation is a pan-Canadian private family foundation that supports efforts to build a more sustainable, inclusive and resilient Canada through social innovation.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic team that supports innovative and scalable approaches to some of Canada’s toughest challenges – such as climate change, inequality, and reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples. We do so through granting and investing, capacity building, convening, and co-creation with grantees, partners and the public.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Bookkeeper ensures the coordination of the department’s accounting and payments operations; collaborates in the budget monitoring process and in the preparation of financial reports; ensures the implementation of new accounting systems; participates in the evaluation and implementation of the department’s accounting, financial and administrative processes. Familiarity with cloud accounting and adopting new technologies is key to this role.
This is a new position that will include providing training for staff on the adoption of accounting, budgeting and payments systems in the first year of the role.
- Accounting and Bookkeeping Responsibilities:
- Ensures accounts payables are processed accurately and in a timely fashion.
- Maintains payments dashboard to improve process efficiency.
- Calculates GST/QST reports.
- Ensures integrity and accuracy of all accounting records and financial transactions
- Coordinates with HR Administrator to ensure payroll processing is complete
- Reconciliation of bank accounts with ACCPAC on a monthly basis.
- Prepares and posts journal entries
- Reconciles general ledger accounts
- Prepares ad-hoc reports as required
- Support the transition for 85% of payees from check to EFT payments
- Maintains knowledge of current accounting practices and related tax changes.
- Suggest process improvements when opportunities for greater efficiency, transparency, and risk management present themselves.
Financial Planning Responsibilities
- Support the Director of Finance and staff in the implementation of a new organizational budgeting system.
- Support in monthly cash management process and projections based on expected expenses and payables.
- Participates in the preparation, monitoring and verification of budget items
- Collaborates in the preparation of the audit file and assists the external auditors; performs various activities in support of internal control.
- Participate in the development of reporting standards for organizational and intermediary financial statements.
- Participates in the evaluation, development and implementation of rules and procedures related to financial and administrative accounting systems.
Skills and attributes
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize
- Results and service oriented
- Commitment to continuous process improvement
- Demonstrate autonomy
- Demonstrate rigor and transparency
- Demonstrate integrity and a flawless sense of ethics
- Works well within a team environment
- Ability to train others
- Demonstrates behaviors in line with Foundation values and mission
- Three to five years of recognized experience in the field related to the position.
- Undergraduate degree in administrative sciences, accounting option or equivalent relevant work experience
- Familiarity with accounting software (SAGE, ACCPAC, EFT)
- Functional Bilingualism (English / French)
If you don’t have a LinkedIn account, you may submit your application by email to email@example.com. Please include your C.V. and a brief cover letter of 250 words maximum stating what interests you most about this role. Application deadline: March 1, 2021.