Established in 1848, the University of Ottawa is one of Canada’s oldest universities. The University offers more than 300 programs in 10 faculties, where students study in their choice of English or French.
In September 2004, the University of Ottawa officially launched a community service-learning program. During its first year of operation, 30 community organizations in the region collaborated in community-based projects with 200 students and 15 professors from four faculties.
This project received funding under Phase II of the University-Based Community Service-Learning Initiative.
The University plans to increase the breadth and depth of community service-learning (CSL) opportunities, by making CSL available in all 10 faculties by 2010. A total of 2,500 students, or 10% of the full-time student population, will be in CSL initiatives involving over 100 professors and 200 community organizations each year. This will provide community organizations with 75,000 hours of additional service per year.
The expansion will be accompanied by significant new support, training and incentives for students, faculty and community groups. The Faculty of Law, in partnership with the Sierra Legal Defence Fund, will establish an Environmental Law and Policy Interdisciplinary Clinic that will fill a major gap in environmental capacity in the nations capital, while the Faculty of Health Sciences will implement an Upper Year Public Health Option within its interdisciplinary Baccalaureate in Health Sciences program that will address health care needs in key target areas.
- General Funding
- Youth and Education